The Grovestead Farm
Date(s) - Friday, September 1, 2023 - Saturday, September 2, 2023
1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Our third annual conference on the family economy! Join with other newsletter readers and like-mided friends over Labor Day weekend in September. The event is held right on our farm in Northfield, Minnesota.
Our theme this year is Ancient Paths:
Come and spend time with like-minded friends and be encouraged on your journey towards family-centered community.
Robert Alexander is part of an Old Order Amish community in Mora, Minnesota. He joined the Amish forty-five years ago with his wife Deborah, and is a teacher and historian (amongst many other duties involved with off-grid living). Not having been raised Amish, Robert and Deborah bring a unique perspective to understanding the agrarian and communal life.
Read an article from Robert in the Summer 2023 newsletter
Rory Groves moved his family from the city to the country several years ago to begin the journey towards a more durable way of life. Rory and his wife Becca now reside in southern Minnesota where they farm, publish, host events, and homeschool their six children. He is the author of Durable Trades: Family-Centered Economies That Have Stood the Test of Time.
Becca Groves is a mother of six, married to a never-saw-it-comin’ aspiring farmer in Southern Minnesota. As new farmers, I write about our transition from the city to the country with hopes of sharing our joy and gratitude for all that we are learning.
Schedule of Events:
FRIDAY, September 1st
- 1:30PM – CHECK-IN
- 2:00PM – OFFICIAL START & WELCOME
- 2:30PM – The Good Way: Will We Walk in It? ~ Becca Groves
- 3:30PM – Intentional Communities—Living With Our Choices… And Getting Along ~ Robert Alexander
- 5:00PM – POTLUCK DINNER (main dish provided, bring a side to share)
- 6:30PM – Just the Dads – w/Rory & Robert, Just the Moms – w/Becca & Deborah
- 7:30PM – BONFIRE & FELLOWSHIP TIME
SATURDAY, September 2nd
- 8:30AM – COFFEE & DONUTS
- 9:00AM – Looking at the Crossroads and Choosing ~ Rory Groves
- 10:30AM – A Functional Home and Farm: Designing for Success ~ Robert and Deborah Alexander
- 12:00PM – BREAK FOR LUNCH (bring your own picnic, fridge/freezer space available)
- 1:30PM – Homesteading—Making a Living… Not a Killing ~ Robert Alexander
- 3:00PM – CLOSING & SENDING
* Childcare will be available during speaker sessions
If you are coming from out of town feel free to use one of the lodging options near Northfield, MN:
- On-site tent-camping is available (inquire with us).
- GrandStay in Faribault has a block of rooms (ask for Gather & Grow block or “Grovestead” conference). You may contact the hotel directly at 507-334-2888.
- AirBNB options for larger groups (inquire with us).
- We do not have space or hookups for RVs, but they may stay at nearby Nerstrand State Park
This event is fully booked.
Sign up to be notified of future events: